Forums
Rules on key binds
Frequently asked questions. Read if you are new.

Rules on key binds

Postby Rude Dude » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:31

Call of Duty 2 Key Bind Rules

The following details binds that are not allowed during Call of Duty 2 (CoD2) Euro Domination matches

- any bind including 'exec' or 'vstr' (this includes demo recording toggle binds)
- any bind including 'lookdown'
- any bind including 'rate' cannot have a value outside 25000
- any bind including 'com_maxfps' cannot have a value below 40 (except 0 for unlimited)
- any bind including 'screenshot' can only be bound to the F12 key
- any bind including 'attack' cannot be combined with other binds
- any bind including 'frag' cannot be combined with other commands/binds

Specially treated

The following binds can be used in legal or illegal ways, but these are clearly shown to us when checking the logs so I will give some examples to help clarify

Legal - These type of binds are recorded in the logs and carefully checked by an admin who will be able to see they are harmless and allowed within our "common sense" approach to bind checks

- any bind including 'exec' AND directly preceeded by 'rcon' (bind J rcon exec edom.cfg) This can only be used to exec a config located on the server and is therefore legal inside a players config_mp.cfg
- any bind including 'wait' which makes up part of a script that we deem legal (binds such as 'bind J disconnect; wait 10; quit' will be ignored as harmless)
- any bind including demo.cfg (or similar type of cfg) or seismovision commands will be ignored as they do not work in matches (without developer mode)

Illegal - These type of binds are recorded in the logs and carefully checked by an admin who will be able to see they are trying to exploit binds to gain an unfair advantage

- any bind including 'wait' which makes up part of a script that we deem illegal (common in rate of fire/frag nade scripts)

If you have a bind and you're unsure whether it's legal or illegal in Euro Domination matches, contact an admin for confirmation

Call of Duty 4 Key Bind Rules

The following details binds that are not allowed during Call of Duty 4 (CoD4) Euro Domination matches

- any bind including 'exec' or 'vstr' (this includes demo recording toggle binds)
- any bind including 'lookdown'
- any bind including 'rate' cannot have a value outside 25000
- any bind including 'com_maxfps' cannot have a value below 40 (except 0 for unlimited)
- any bind including 'screenshot' can only be bound to the F12 key
- any bind including 'attack' cannot be combined with other binds or bound to the 'mousewheel'
- any bind including 'frag' cannot be combined with other commands/binds

Specially treated

The following binds can be used in legal or illegal ways, but these are clearly shown to us when checking the logs so I will give some examples to help clarify

Legal - These type of binds are recorded in the logs and carefully checked by an admin who will be able to see they are harmless and allowed within our "common sense" approach to bind checks

- any bind including 'exec' AND directly preceeded by 'rcon' (bind J rcon exec edom.cfg) This can only be used to exec a config located on the server and is therefore legal inside a players config_mp.cfg
- any bind including 'wait' which makes up part of a script that we deem legal (binds such as 'bind J disconnect; wait 10; quit' will be ignored as harmless)
- any bind including demo.cfg (or similar type of cfg) or seismovision commands will be ignored as they do not work in matches (without developer mode)

Illegal - These type of binds are recorded in the logs and carefully checked by an admin who will be able to see they are trying to exploit binds to gain an unfair advantage

- any bind including 'wait' which makes up part of a script that we deem illegal (common in rate of fire/frag nade scripts)

If you have a bind and you're unsure whether it's legal or illegal in Euro Domination matches, contact an admin for confirmation

Generic Information

Why are these binds illegal in Euro Domination matches?

Assumption behind this is that no one needs these such binds to be able to play a match, some of these binds can give you an unfair advantage

The reason 'exec' binds are not allowed is that the cfg file the exec bind refers to, can contain any script (from an innocent name changer to a fullly scripted grenade).

The reason 'vstr' binds are not allowed is because they can be used to operate hidden scripts (from an innocent name changer to a fullly scripted grenade)

The reason 'lookdown' binds are not allowed is that they can be used in an attempt to lower a weapons recoil effect (often include 'wait' within this bind)

The reason 'rate' binds of a value less than 25000 are not allowed in because they can be used in an attempt to 'lag bind'

The reason any bind including 'com_maxfps' cannot have a value below 40 is because they can be used in an attempt to 'lag bind'

The reason 'attack' binds cannot be combined with other binds is because it can be used in rate of fire binds or binds that attempt to lower a weapons recoil effect (often include 'wait' within this bind)

The reason 'attack' cannot be bound to the 'mousewheel' in Call of Duty 4 (CoD4) is because this can be used in an attempt to increase a weapons rate of fire

The reason 'frag' cannot be combined with other commands/binds is because it can be used in an attempt to make nades more accurate/travel a constant distance (bound to be perfect every time)

The reason 'screenshot' can only be bound to the F12 key is that it can be used to exploit a smoke bug in CoD2 and used as a 'lag bind' (F12 is quite far from the default keys and makes this bug slightly more difficult to exploit)

We advise you to directly bind name changes etc to keys rather than using cfg files. If you still wish to use such binds, then create another player profile for E-Dom matches

When are these binds illegal in Euro Domination?

We can only enforce our rules within official Euro Domination matches, which are any that are arranged and listed on this site (Division and Citydom)

While every effort is made to ensure we only take action from logs streamed during official Euro Domination matches, the extra time to check this for every player makes it almost impossible to achieve 100% of the time

As such, if you feel you were wrongly penalised because the bind was detected at a time when you were not involved in an official Euro Domination match you should contact an admin who will investigate your claim

note : before you make a mistake, remember the logs are shown to us, and therefore you when informed, in Eastern Standard Time (EST = GMT -5 hours)

What alternatives do I have?

Often people claim that their exec binds and vstr binds are only for name changes/demo recording etc, it is highly likely to be true but it's just as likely to be false, this is why we don't allow exceptions.

vstr record toggles can be replaced with binds such as

bind F9 "record; say record ^1ON"
bind F10 "stoprecord; say record ^1OFF"

exec binds used to change name can be bound directly to a key

replace
bind J "exec name.cfg"
with
bind J "name shiver^6*"

Now you have a legal name change bind, same principal for "say" .cfg's, just bind directly to the key

These are the most common use of illegal binds, and are claimed to be ok because "they only change my name" maybe true, but when you have legal alternatives available, there is no excuse for exec binds etc

General Information and Procedures

It's impossible to list all the different possible bind variations here and we actively search the logs and take action upon anything we find and deem to be illegal whether listed here or not, we will of course add any new binds we come across and deem illegal here

When we detect the use of illegal binds the following procedure applies

Sanctions
- 1st offence: player will be asked to remove bind (via E-Mail or PM)
- 2nd offence: player will receive official warning (usually 2 weeks, posted on the forums)
- 3rd offence: player will be temporarily banned (2 weeks, posted on the forums)

We reserve the right to skip/alter any of the sanctions at any time at our own discretion, this means that serious breaches to our rules, such as multiple illegal binds may result in a straight warning and/or the length of penalty will be adjusted as we see fit

If you think we have missed something in these rules or haven't explained something clearly enough, don't hesitate to query us

Last edited by Rude Dude on Wed 11 Jul, 2007 14:22, edited 2 times in total.
Rude Dude
Honorary E-Dom Admin
Honorary E-Dom Admin

Netherlands Netherlands

Re: New rules on key binds

Postby Vipez » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 13:05

Rude Dude wrote:
Sanctions
- 1st offense: player will be asked to remove bind
- 2nd offense: player will receive official warning
- 3rd offense: player will be temporarily banned (2 weeks)

A bit leniant imho...

If there is a slim chance that these binds can be done accidently 3 times I would suggest...

Sanctions
- 1st offense: player will be asked to remove bind and official warning
- 2nd offense: player will be temporarily banned (1 week)
- 3rd offense: player will be temporarily banned (2-4 weeks?)

Just a suggestion as it is cheating in a way and if people do not stop after 2 warnings they obviously don`t have any respect for Edom rules and don`t give a monkeys about warnings :xP
Vipez
The Devil's Advocate

England England

Postby Rude Dude » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 13:12

Because it's a new rule that no other league really forces (as far as I'm aware) we let ppl know the rule exists the first time.
Rude Dude
Honorary E-Dom Admin
Honorary E-Dom Admin

Netherlands Netherlands

Postby Vipez » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 13:20

put it in servers messages that naughty binds will get you temp ban ...

In fact! put all rules in server messages so i have summit to read when dead :sad:
Vipez
The Devil's Advocate

England England

Postby [SoE]_Cavok » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 14:31

Don't pussyfoot around.

Shoot them.

Life can be so simple.
[SoE]_Cavok
E-Dom Spammer

Europe Europe

Postby RYAN- » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 14:58

CB enforces it too, and has a "script finder" to detect the scripts now. Good move ^_^
RYAN-
E-Dom Spammer

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Postby GrudGe » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 15:20

Hurray!!! No more rapid-fire M1's!!!
GrudGe
E-Dom Soldier

England England

Postby sham69* » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 16:59

1st offence - Send em for a weekend to cavok im sure they wont do it again :razz:
sham69*
E-Dom Legend

England England

Postby [SoE]_Cavok » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 17:36

I will get Mrs Cav to prepare for guests.

Here is the Royal suite.

[SoE]_Cavok
E-Dom Spammer

Europe Europe

Postby messioso » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 18:01

GrudGe wrote:Hurray!!! No more rapid-fire M1's!!!

lol?

so you regularly play against people who do that in matches? and havnt said anything against it?
messioso
E-Dom Soldier

England England

Postby Stormin » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 18:15

Tbh 3 warnings is to many, 1st should be remove, second straight into a ban.
I fkin hate all these mofos who script, its fkin rife in SOF2 hence why i gave up playing it.
New rule i for one am glad to see.
Stormin
E-Dom Soldier

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Postby Shiver » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 18:29

Stormin wrote:Tbh 3 warnings is to many, 1st should be remove, second straight into a ban

nah, if that was the case, I'd be the first to get banned ;/

I have loads of exec binds for name changing and rdy up pls, no swearing, that kind of thing (all of which can be binded directly to a key in my cfg) Rude has being telling me for ages to change them (like 6 months lol) but I am too lazy and never get time :roll:

I will have change them soon, I think he wants to catch me first :(
Shiver
Former E-Dom Admin

England England

Postby Rude Dude » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 18:44

There seems to be some confusion between HAVING binds and USING binds. Actually using them will have consequences on the first proven offence.

Many people don't use them or have forgotten that they have them.
Rude Dude
Honorary E-Dom Admin
Honorary E-Dom Admin

Netherlands Netherlands

Postby sham69* » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 18:49

I've forgotten everything :cry:
sham69*
E-Dom Legend

England England

Postby Gis » Wed 11 Jul, 2007 19:04

Never been sad enough to use them ! :)
Gis